Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Is It June Already?!

Once again, it has been a while since I last blogged. How does that happen?! Well, seeing as how today is the start of a new month, I figured I can start over too!


We recently had our monthly SAGNFL meeting and we experimented with rice (or wafer) paper. I have only used my rice paper once for my grandmother's birthday a few years ago to make butterflies. But they did not turn out so well, so I kind of put the rice paper on the back burner.


But when the president of our guild asked me about making feathers and flowers for our meeting, I was thrilled to try it out. I had previously seen this gorgeous cake on Cake Central...




I then found through her website the instructions for how she made her breathtaking feathers. Not sure if I've previously mentioned this or not, but my husband and I are renewing our vows this year! And when I saw her feathers, I knew I had found a starting point for our cake!


I also tried my hand at making flowers, but the result was not what I had expected. The shape came out fine, but there was no texture. When we tried at the meeting with Jane's wafer paper, the texture was there, but it was very difficult to get the paper onto the mold. We'll keep practicing! And if you want to try it out, check out these amazing instructions.


But our feathers turned out better. See for yourself...



Gorgeous! And they weren't even finished. The instructions say to dust with luster dust and hold them over steam to set and give the feathers movement. I will be doing this in the future and posting the results.


I'll be back soon to share some more love...really I will!

2 comments:

  1. Thankyou so much for posting all you did re these feathers - and i think yours are absolutely marvellous.
    Yes, i agree - what a beautiful addition they shall make to a wedding cake..

    Thank you again and well done.

    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wondering where you have gone -haven't seen you post for a while - do jope all is ok.

    Maxine

    ReplyDelete