Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A is for Armadillo

When I'm making a cake for a family member or friend I will ask them what they want, and the usual response is, "Whatever you want to make". Not Cameron, my husband's co-worker...he knew exactly what he wanted!

"Have you ever seen Steel Magnolias?" "Yes, I have."

If you have seen this movie before, you probably already know what cake I'm talking about. If not, be prepared. It doesn't really look like something you'd want to eat!
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

(Actual picture from Steel Magnolias)



Yuck! Now, if I could choose any cake to make or eat, it most likely would not have been this one. But what the birthday boy wants, the birthday boy gets! So I started researching armadillo cakes. I ended up making a more realistic version...and I actually had a lot of fun making it! Plus, the hubs helped out a lot on this too, since we only had one day to make it! Check it out...




It was a red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting, covered with fondant. The head, ears, feet and tail were all made with gumpaste. I used a dresden tool for the striped texture on the back bands and I used a straw and frosting tips for the spotty texture. Then to get the gray color, the hubs sprayed it all down with black Wilton Color Mist food color spray. My favorite thing about this cake ended up being the tail! (Get it? "End"ed up? heheh!) Anyway, I thought it came out perfect!

I heard this cake was like a tourist attraction at hubby's work. People were lining up to see it! Hope everyone enjoyed their piece of armadillo!

Happy Birthday Cameron!

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow! What a great job!! I love everything about him - from his pink little nose to his textured little tail. Your armadillo cake and my armadillo cake should have a play date!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like fun, but unfortunately since this post, my armadillo has been cut into little pieces and served to an angry mob!

    ReplyDelete