Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Pop for Pop

My dad has always had a fondness for popcorn, whether it was stove top popped, microwave popped, store bought, etc. Thus leading to this year's Father's Day theme...a popcorn party. And of course, I had to make a cake for the party, popcorn and all! So I revved up Blue and made the german chocolate cake batter. I divided the batter between the bottom of the giant cupcake pan and a 12 cup cupcake/muffin pan.

As the cake and cupcakes were baking, I starting making the "popcorn". I cut an "x" into the top of marshmallows (using clean scissors), placing them on a wax paper lined cookie sheet. I also left some plain, uncut marshmallows. When I had the tray full, I sprayed them with the yellow Wilton Color Mist food color spray.



After that I mixed a little tequila with brown food color gel and used a paintbrush (only used for cakes) to dab some brown in the middle of various pieces. I iced my cupcakes and added some "popcorn".

I iced the cake then wrapped it with wax paper, then scrapbook paper and added a "Dad's Popcorn" sign. I cut and shaped wires and added them to a wax paper-wrapped board and put the board on top of the cake. For the finishing touch, I added the rest of the popcorn to the bucket. There you have it...delicious, buttery popcorn!

We all had a fun Father's Day! Hope you all did too! Check back soon for the Father's Day crafts I made for my dad and hubby!

No comments:

Post a Comment